This turkey sloppy joes recipe is a diabetic friendly recipe with a twist on an old time favourite.
It’s lower in fat plus has some great and fresh ingredients to add a lot of flavour.
This meal is great for a cold winter day or a hot summer picnics.
You can whip up a batch, freeze it, and warm it up for lunch or dinner for the whole family.
This lunch or dinner recipe comes complete with a list of ingredients, full nutrition information and also printer friendly copy.
The nutrition for this sloppy joes recipe does not include the buns. So be sure to add this separately if you're counting calories.
When you're using a buns, make sure that it’s whole wheat or whole grain buns for a healthier sandwich as opposed to white buns.
Main Dish, Sandwich, Turkey
Degree of Difficulty
1 1/2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 med yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional) or 3/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
1/3 C strained tomatoes
dash of nutmeg
2 lg whole wheat hamburger buns
chopped scallions (garnish)
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat oil in large saute pan over low heat. Add pepper, onion, garlic, and celery. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and translucent, about 7 minutes.
3. Push vegetables to one side of pan. Raise heat to medium high. Add meat to side without vegetables and cook, stirring, until almost cooked through, about 7 minutes.
4. Combine meat and vegetables. Add vinegar and stir. Add tomato paste and sugar, if desired, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, nutmeg, and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Lower heat and simmer until thick, about 3 minutes.
6. Open buns and toast in broiler until golden brown. Divide meat between buns, garnish with scallions, and serve.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 21 minutes
Total Time: 31 minutes
If you do not like Turkey, here's a great Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe.
This stuffed tomatoes appetizer recipe gives this recipes has a new twist instead of ground beef it uses ground turkey.
Try this tasty Red Pepper and Feta Turkey Burger recipe for your next supper or cookout.
These diabetic fish recipes are some of my favourite. To tell you the truth I love fish , fish and more fish and all these meal are a fish lover paradise. So give then a try and leave a comment below and tell me how you like them.
So I have two kids and we have tons of family parties, get together and holidays parties and every time that we celebrate we eat. So I try to bring some diabetic friendly appetizer to these parties. Check out this page to find out some great appetizer.
For more recipes Diabetic Gourmet
Find out what's involved with a diabetic diet and how you can start eating the right foods to help manage your blood sugar level.
Exercising is not only great for losing weight, it can help you control blood sugar levels.Find out more about exercise and diabetes by reading this article.
Check out the diabetic friendly recipes on this site. Each recipe comes complete with nutrition information and a diabetic friendly.
You can find something new for breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizers or even desserts.